Matias Reyes (born in 1971) is a Puerto Rican born American Criminal, Convicted Murderer, Serial Rapist, and Controversial Personality from New York. He gained controversy for being the Serial Rapist and attempted murderer of Trisha Meili (former investment banker and motivational speaker).
Furthermore, he conducted his crime in the North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park on the night of April 19, 1989. This case later became famous by the “Central Park jogger case“.
Reyes committed his first crime in late 1988 and raped a woman. Moreover, he abused a 27-year-old lady in the pews of a 90th street church. On April 17, 1989, Matias again attacked, beat, and raped a 26-year-old lady in northern Central Park.
However, the victim later left the city and his case went cold. Investigators never joined jogger’s rape to a similar attack that had happened just 2 days earlier. The criminal continued his bad deeds including murdering a woman named Lourdes Gonzalez.
Later, on August 5th, 1989, Reyes stalked his final victim into her 91st Street apartment and abused her. Fortunately, she managed to escape and seized him with the help of a neighbor until the police came.
Netflix’s When They See Us Series
Recently, Netflix released a miniseries called “When They See Us” on May 31, 2019. The film is based on Raymond Santana, Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, and Korey Wise who were falsely convicted in the Central Park Case.
List of When They See Us’ Cast Actors & Actresses are:
- Jovan Adepo as Antron McCray.
- John Leguizamo as Raymond Santana Jr.
- Reginald L. Barnes as NYPD Officer Harmon.
- Asante Blackk as Young Kevin Richardson.
- Marsha Stephanie Blake as Linda McCray.
- Kylie Bunbury as Angie Richardson.
- Marquis Rodriguez as Young Raymond Santana.
- Chris Chalk as Yusef Salaam.
- Jharrel Jerome as Korey Wise.
- Bryan Terrell Clark as Ortega.
- Justin Cunningham as Kevin Richardson.
- Omar J. Dorsey as Elombre Brath.
- Aunjanue Ellis as Sharon Salaam.
- Vera Farmiga as Elizabeth Lederer etc.
The creator, director, and writer of the hit project is Ava DuVernay. Reyes’ character in the Netflix series is played by Reece Noi (British/American actor).
The Central Park Jogger Case Study
After his arrest, Reyes held a plea bargain, agreeing to serve 33 years to life in prison. But, he punched his lawyer at his 1991 sentencing. This incident made the judge to order him to be imprisoned for life.
Trisha Meili’s incident took place on the night of April 19, 1989, in the North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park. Patricia Meili was a 28-year-old investment banker at the time and the attack left her in a coma for 12 days. In fact, Matias was just 18-year-old.
Furthermore, in 1990, the police brought Korey, Raymond, Antron, Kevin, and Yusef as suspects of the crime. The juveniles then went for various interview sessions for hours conducted by investors.
Later, the defendants charged with rape, sexual abuse, assault, robbery, riot, and attempted murder. They also accused of other attacks in the park, based solely on confessions. But they told in a documentary that those confessions were false and coerced.
In December 1990, Wise also acquitted of those charges. But he convicted of sexual abuse, assault, and riot and sentenced to 5–15 years. The four younger boys, Antron, Richardson, Salaam, and Santana served their time in juvenile facilities. Later, they transferred to adult jails at age 21.
His Confession about Raping Trisha Meili
Matias met Wise in the prison at Rikers Island and they also fought with each other for a TV. They encountered once again in 2001, in the Auburn prison yard. For the first time, Reyes felt guilty for the fact that Korey Wise was still held for a sin he never committed.
Therefore, in 2002, Matias Reyes confessed of raping Trisha Meili and his DNA also matched with the rape kit of the jogger. Finally, all the wrongly convicted teenagers released then. Later, they sued New York City in 2003 for malicious prosecution, racial discrimination, and emotional distress.
Moreover, the city concluded the case for $41 million USD in 2014 in damages from New York State in the New York Court of Claims.
Trivia & Quick Info
|Full Birth Name||Matias Reyes.|
|Profession||Convicted Murderer and Serial Rapist.|
|Age (As of 2019)||48 years old|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||1971.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Puerto Rico (but raised in New York City, New York, United States).|
|Famous For||Raping and attempted murder of Trisha Meili in the North Woods of Manhattan’s Central Park on the night of April 19, 1989.|
|Star Sign (Zodiac Sign)||not available.|
|Prisoned In||New York, USA.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5′ 8″.|
Centimeters: 173 cm.
Meters: 1.73 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 86 Kg.|
Pounds: 190 lbs.
|Biceps Size||15 inches.|
|Body Measurements (chest-waist-hips)||42-32-35.|
|Shoe Size (US)||10.|
|Tattoos details?||Will Update.|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown.|
|Parents|| Father: Name not found.|
Mother: Not Known.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Girlfriend & Fiancee||Will update.|
|Alma Mater||Will Update.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio.|
Actress: Angelina Jolie.
|Dream Holiday Destination||Switzerland.|
|Love to do||Watching movies.|
|Favorite Dishes||Pan Cake, Fries, Chicken & Cheese Burger.|
|Net worth (Approx.)||Under Revision (As of 2019).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings per month||Will update.|
|Office Address||Will Update.|
|Home Details||Not Known|
|Mobile or Phone Number||Will Update.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Matias Reyes
- Wikipedia: The Central Park Serial Rapist, Matias Reyes was born in 1971 in Puerto Rico. Hence, his age is 48 years old, as of 2019.
- His father and mother later moved to New York City when he was very young.
- Furthermore, Matias’ school reports stated that his IQ is in the seventies. It also described him as emotionally disturbed.
- The rapist told psychiatrists that he also sexually molested as a child.
- Reyes was 18 years old and was working as a deli clerk in upper Manhattan when he raped Trisha in 1989.
Explore More: The Biography of Linda Collins-Smith, Lifestyle, Story & Affairs
- His financial condition was also very poor and he used to sleep in a van.
- In the initial days of his criminal activities, he assaulted more than ten women and also killed one of them.
- Reyes murdered, Gonzalez who a pregnant mother-of-three and her children listened from the next room when she was abused by him.