Mary Bubala (born September 14, 1969) is an American Anchorwoman, Host, News Presenter, and Journalist from Chicago, Illinois. She is best known as the former Baltimore news anchor who worked for WJZ-TV. Furthermore, the 49-year-old host recently got fired from the channel after she made a comment on a race and gender.
She linked Catherine Pugh‘s resignation to her race and gender. She remained the ex-Baltimore Mayor. Bubala stated in the episode that they’ve had 3 ladies, African-American mayors in a row.
Later, Anchorwoman claimed that two of them resigned and said that a different kind of leadership is required to move Baltimore City forward. In fact, Pugh also resigned last week after a controversy which involved the sale of her self-published children’s books.
Moreover, the station also issued an apology to its viewers for her remarks. Mary started her career with the station almost 15 years back. In addition, she served as an anchor to its 5 pm and 11 pm newscasts recently.
Previously, Bubala worked at Maryland’s WMAR in the initial days of her career. Then, she served as a journalist at upstate New York’s WENY and WBNG, and at WOKR in Rochester. Also, Mary Bubala also received a nomination for a 2016 regional Emmy award for her coverage of the Freddy Gray protests.
Anchorwoman Story – Baltimore Mayor Controversy
During an interview session with Karsonya Wise Whitehead, she asked her if Baltimore required a mayor who was not an African-American female. Karsonya works as a professor at Loyola University Maryland.
Furthermore, her comments came after former Baltimore Mayor “Catherine Pugh” resigned last week. Anchorwoman involved herself into a horrible scandal over a series of children’s books Catherine self-published.
Moreover, Whitehead replied with “No” to Mary’s question. As a consequence, Bubala accused of racism by the Baltimore Association of Black Journalists. The claimed that she signifies race and gender are qualifiers in one’s ability to lead the state.
In fact, BABJ also accused her of labeling African-Americans and women as poor leaders. They also stated in a statement that Mary would never ask the same question to white male leaders.
However, the journalist issued an apology on her Twitter account. But the group claimed that it should be done in the same manner as the damaging question was asked. Later, the WJZ-TV station fired its employee.
Trivia & Quick Info
|Real Full Birth Name||Mary Bubala.|
|Profession||Host, News Anchor, and Journalist.|
|Famous for||being the former Baltimore news anchor who worked for WJZ-TV.|
|Age (As of 2019)||49 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||September 14, 1969.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Chicago, Illinois, United States.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Ethnicity||White Caucasian Descent.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Virgo.|
|House In||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Social Media Account Stats|| Instagram: NA.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5′ 6″. |
Centimeters: 168 cm.
Meters: 1.68 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 55 Kg.|
Pounds: 121 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Breast-waist-hips)||35-27-36.|
|Shoe Size (UK)||6.|
|Parents|| Father: Paul Bubala.|
Mother: Carol Bubala.
|Siblings||Brother: Not Known.|
Sister: 1 sis.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Marital Status||Married since 1996.|
|Dating History?||Love Affair with her boyfriend.|
|Husband/Spouse Name||Bruce Douglas Smith.|
|Son||1. Nate Smith.|
2. Matt Smith.
|Highest Qualification||Graduate with a Bachelors degree in Journalism.|
|Alma Mater.||Will update.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Actor: Tom Cruise.|
Actress: Jennifer Lopez.
|Dream Holiday Destination||Paris.|
|Love to do||Reading.|
|Favorite Food||Italian Cuisine.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$500K US dollars (As of 2018).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings||—|
|Mobile or Phone Number||—|
|Home Details||Will Update.|
|Email Address||Not found.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Mary Bubala
- Wikipedia: The journalist was born on the 14th of September 1969 in Chicago, Illinois, United States. Therefore, Mary Bubala’s age is 49 years old, as of 2019.
- Her parents are Carol Bubala (mother) and Paul Bubala (father). But we have no information about Mary’s siblings.
- She graduated from the University with a bachelors’ degree in Journalism.
- In 1996, the former TV anchor tied the knot with her husband “Bruce Douglas Smith”.
- The couple also shares two sons named Nate and Matt Smith.
- Furthermore, Bubala also verified her retirement from the channel on her Facebook and Twitter account. She wrote that WJZ was compelled to dismiss her from the job.
- The 49-year-old host also posted on Facebook that she became very disturbed with her departure.
Read Also: The Biography of Yusi Molly Zhao, Lifestyle, Story & Trivia
- Anchorwoman also said that she will fight to repair her reputation.
- On her Twitter, Mary tweeted that she asked a question that did not come out the way she meant.
- The journalist received the award in a regional Emmy for outstanding news anchor.
- Bubala belongs to White Caucasian ethnicity.