David Koch (born May 03, 1940 – died August 23, 2019) was an American Chemical Engineer, Businessman, Philanthropist, and Political Activist from Wichita, Kansas. He started his career after joining his family business called “Koch Industries“.
It is the second-largest multinational corporation in the United States of America. In 1979, Koch promoted and became president of the subsidiary Koch Engineering. Later, he and one of his elder brothers appointed as co-owners of the company in 1983.
In 2019, the calculated Net worth of David Koch is $48 Billion US dollars.
In 2018, David retired from the Koch Industries and his last position in the firm as executive vice president. Due to his bad health, he had to step down from his role back in June 2018.
Recently, on August 23, 2019, the businessman passed away at the age of 79 due to cancer. Earlier, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer 27 years ago and was given only a few years to live. His death news was first published by Charles Koch.
Early Life, Parents & Siblings
As per Wikipedia, Philanthropist David Koch was born on the 4th of May 1940 (age 79 years old, at the time of his death on 23 August 2019) in Wichita, Kansas, United States. His father “Fred Chase Koch” was also a chemical engineer and David’s mother “Mary Clementine” was a homemaker.
He had three siblings, i.e. brothers named Charles, Frederick, and Bill Koch. The late businessman’s paternal grandfather “Harry Koch” was the founder of the Quanah Tribune-Chief newspaper.
As of education, he attended the Deerfield Academy prep school and graduated in 1959. Later, David received a Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1962.
Then, the engineer post-graduated from the same college and earned a master’s degree in chemical engineering in 1963. During college, Koch also remained a member of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity.
David used to be a basketball player and played for MIT in his younger days. He also held a school record averaging 21 points per game over three years. According to a source, the late businessman even made the single-game scoring record of 41 points from 1962 until 2009.
Personal Affairs, Spouse & Children
The 79-years-old David tied the knot with his wife “Julia Margaret Flesher” in 1996. Their wedding ceremony was a lavish affair and many people were invited. The couple had three kids together.
David and Julia shared two sons named John Mark Koch & David Koch Jr. and a daughter Mary Julia. In February 1991, the businessman met with a horrible accident when USAir Flight collided with another aircraft on a runway at Los Angeles International Airport.
The incident killed 35 people and Koch was able to survive. This particular incident changed him a lot and inspired to become a philanthropist. He also underwent numerous surgery, radiation, and hormone therapy after diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1992.
Trivia & Quick Info
|Real Full Birth Name||David Hamilton Koch.|
|Profession||Businessman, Philanthropist, Political Activist, and Chemical Engineer.|
|Famous for||Owner of Koch Industries.|
|Age (As of 2019)||79 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||May 03, 1940.|
|Date of Death||August 23, 2019.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Wichita, Kansas, United States.|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Ethnicity||White Caucasian Descent.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Taurus.|
|House In||Southampton, New York, USA.|
|Social Media Account Stats|| Instagram: NA.|
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 6′ 2″. |
Centimeters: 188 cm.
Meters: 1.88 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 92 Kg.|
Pounds: 202 lbs.
|Body Measurements (Chest-waist-hips)||44-34-38.|
|Shoe Size (UK)||11.|
|Parents|| Father: Fred Chase Koch.|
Mother: Mary Clementine.
|Siblings||Brother: 1. Charles Koch.|
2. Frederick R. Koch.
3. Bill Koch.
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Wife/Spouse Name||Julia Flesher.|
|Son||1. John Mark Koch.|
2. David Koch Jr.
|Daughter||Mary Julia Koch.|
|Highest Qualification||Post-Graduate with a master’s degree in chemical engineering.|
|School||Deerfield Academy Prep school.|
|Alma Mater.||Massachusetts Institute of Technology.|
|Hobbies & Favorite Things|
|Favorite Celebrities||Elvis Presley (American singer) and Angelina Jolie (American actress).|
|Dream Holiday Destination||Australia.|
|Love to do||Read and Travel.|
|Favorite Food||Continental Cuisine.|
|Net worth (approx.)||$48 Billion US dollars (As of 2019).|
|Salary, Income & Earnings||—|
|Mobile or Phone Number||—|
|Home Details||Will Update.|
|Email Address||Not found.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about David Koch
- His real full birth name is David Hamilton Koch.
- Bill is his twin younger brother.
- David actively worked as a libertarian in his life and also remained the 1980 candidate for Vice President of the United States from the US Libertarian Party.
- Furthermore, he and his elder sibling, Charles were the majority owner of Koch Industries.
- They also ranked 11th richest person in the world by Forbes as of June 2019.
- As an activist, the late engineer donated to various charities like New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Lincoln Center, Sloan Kettering, the American Museum of Natural History, etc.
- Koch Industries Co-owner David Koch’s height was 6 Feet 2 Inches (188 centimeters tall).
- As a former basketball player, he used to train in the sport a lot back in his early days. His estimated body weight was 92 kilograms (202 pounds) which he maintained by doing exercise and following a strict diet.
Explore More: Who is Paige Green? Her Biography, Story, Affairs & Lifestyle
- In 2008, The New York State Theater renamed their theatre as “the David H. Koch Theater” after receiving $100 million USD for renovation.
- He was dubbed as one of the world’s top 50 philanthropists by the Chronicle of Philanthropy in 2006.
- Koch started his career as a technical services manager in the family business back in 1970. He also founded the firm’s New York City office.