Abhijit Banerjee (born February 21, 1961) is an Indian-American Economist from Kolkata (India). Furthermore, he is also an International Professor at the Massachusetts Institue of Technology. He worker with economists named Sendhil Mullainathan and Esther Duflo (Abhijit‘s Spouse).
Mr. Banerjee also co-founded Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab. Additionally; he is also an affiliate researcher in the Innovations for Poverty For Action. He did his fellowship from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Meanwhile, Banerjee is also a co-author of Poor Economics book. He taught earlier at Harvard and Princeton University. On the other hand, he along with his Esther and Michael awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics (2019).
Therefore, the couple became the sixth married duo to get the Nobel Award. Marie and Pierre Curie got the award in 1903 for radium discovery. Then, the last couple of 2014 won the award May-Britt Moser and Edvard I.
Profile, Parents & Trivia
Economy Nobel prize winner, Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee was born on the 21st of February 1961 in Kolkata (West Bengal, India). Furthermore, Nirmala Banerjee (mother) was an Economics Professor at the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta.
Abhijit’s dad Dipak Banerjee headed the Economics Department of Presidency College in Calcutta. Moreover, he educated from South Point High School. Later on, he enrolled in the Presidency College, the University of Calcutta for BSc (Economics).
Banerjee went to the Jawaharlal Nehru University, JNU for MA in Economics. He received admission opportunity to the Harvard University for Ph.D. Economics. Additionally, he created a thesis on Essays of Information Economics.
Spouse, Marriage & Children
Earlier, his former wife is Dr. Arundhati Tuli Banerjee (Literature Lecturer, MIT). He also shared a son with her. Then, he found a new love Esther who is MIT Professor and his co-researcher. Their first child took birth in the year 2012. They formally married in 2015.
|Real Full Birth Name||Abhijit Banerjee.|
|Famous for||Winner of Nobel Prize Economics (2019) with Sendhil Mullainathan and Esther Duflo.|
|Age (As of 2019)||58 years old.|
|Date of Birth (DOB), Birthday||February 21, 1961.|
|Birthplace/Hometown||Kolkata (West Bengal, India).|
|Sexuality (Gay or Lesbian)||Straight.|
|Sun Sign (Zodiac Sign)||Aquarius.|
|Books Authored||1. Can Information Campaigns Spark Local Participation and Improve Outcomes? A Study of Primary Education in Uttar Pradesh, India (2006).|
2. Pitfalls of Participatory Programs: Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation in Education in India (2008).
3. Making Aid Work (2007).
4. Poor Economics (2011).
5. Good Economics for Hard Times: Better Answers to Our Biggest Problems (2019).
|Height (Tall)||Feet & Inches: 5′ 8″. |
Centimeters: 173 cm.
Meters: 1.73 m.
|Weight||Kilograms: 73 Kg.|
Pounds: 160 lbs.
|Shoe Size (UK)||9.|
|Parents|| Father: Dipak Banerjee (HOD Economics, Presidency College, Calcutta). |
Mother: Nirmala Banerjee (Economics Professor, Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta).
|Personal Life Relationship|
|Marital Status||Married Since 2015.|
|Dating History?||Esther Duflo.|
|Wife/Spouse Name||1. Esther Duflo (m. 2015). |
2. Dr. Arundhati Tuli Banerjee.
|Children||Two Kids (Name Not Known).|
|Highest Qualification||1. Bsc (Economics) Presidency College, University of Calcutta.|
2. MA (Economics) Jawaharlal Nehru University, JNU.
3. PhD (Economics) Harvard University.
|School||South Point High School.|
|Alma Mater.||1. Presidency College, University of Calcutta.|
2. Jawaharlal Nehru University, JNU.
3. Harvard University.
|Net worth (approx.)||$700,000 US Dollars.|
|Salary, Income & Earnings||$100K-$120K.|
Some Lesser Known Facts about Abhijit Banerjee
- He gave an annual lecture on the Redesigning of the Social Policy at the EXIM Bank 2019.
- The Kiel Institute honored with the Bernard-Harms Prize (2014).
- Furthermore, the UN Secretary-General Ban –Ki-Moon tasked him in the Millennium Development Goals Panel of 2015.
- He is a recipient of the Infosys Prize.
- Meanwhile, he proposed the importance of field experiments.
- Esther Duflo’s partner height is 5 feet 8 inches (173 in Centimeters). On the other hand, Banerjee’s body weight is around 73 Kg (160 in Pounds).
- Banerjee discussed the experiments about the poverty alleviation in the world.
- He was also a former fellow of the Econometric Society.
- The Noble Prize Committee announced the $1.1 million prize money to them.
- He wrote A Short History on Poverty Measurements.
- Therefore, Abhijit Banerjee gets $100K-$120K average salary on the professor position. His net worth is $700,000 US Dollars as of 2019.
Explore More: The Biography of Victoria Pratt, Story, Affairs & Trivia
- Michael Kremer tensed on the bad condition of the Indian Economy.
- In addition to this, he stated the causes of the present and future for the Economy in India.
- However, Abhijit protested in the JNU along with the students and arrested. The Vice-Chancellor, JNU named PN Srivastava dropped the charges against them.